Delicious and super simple, this Slow Cooker Satay Chicken is another one of our family favourites.
This recipe originally appeared on my other website Just A Mum – SEE IT HERE
Satay has to be one of my favourite flavours for savoury dishes. Possibly because I LOVE peanut butter, so if you are a fan of peanut flavouring this is one for you to try.
We are about to head back into term two for school here and the days are getting shorter and cooler so out comes the slow cooker for many of our weekday meals.
For us winter means we are busier than ever with sports on every night of the week, so coming home to a house smelling of warm prepared meals is such a treat.
Slow cooker meals are great – they are so incredibly easy to prepare but the outcome is always so tasty. Many of the ingredients in this recipe are pantry staples that are great to have on hand to create delicious family meals.
Ingredients you will need are
Chilli Flakes or Ground
Peanut Butter, Smooth
Salt & Pepper
Lime Juice & Coriander (Optional
The best bit about this recipe, and many that are created for slow cookers, is that you simply dump all of the ingredients into the slow cooker and leave it to cook. This is exactly what you do here, just set and forget.
You can cook this recipe on LOW for 5 hours or on HIGH for 3 hours. I prefer to use Chicken Thighs as they stay lovely and moist throughout the cooking process, but chicken breast could work too – though it can dry out when being cooked in a slow cooker.
This recipe makes a large serving, feel free to halve the recipe if that better suits your needs.
I have included dried ground chilli in this recipe. You can omit it but with just the right amount it adds a lovely flavour to the finished product, if you like extra heat add in more, but chilli does tend to increase in intensity the longer it cooks. You can use chilli flakes or ground chilli.
I have served this with some rice and you can add vegetables to the satay chicken at various stages of the cooking process, red capsicums and green beans are lovely added about an hour before serving.
Any leftovers are perfect the next day too!
Here is the recipe for Slow Cooker Satay Chicken
- 1 KG of Chicken Thighs, skinless, boneless, cubed
- 1 Small Onion, finely diced
- 1 Cup Coconut Milk, 250 mls
- 1 Cup Chicken Stock, 250mls
- 2/3rds Cup Peanut Butter, 165 mls
- 2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce, 30 mls
- 1 Tablespoon Peanut Oil, 15 mls
- 2 teaspoons Garlic, minced,
- 1 teaspoon Fresh Ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon Paprika, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon Chilli, ground (or 1 teaspoon chilli flakes or to your taste)
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon each of Salt & Ground Pepper
- 1 large Red Capsicum, finely sliced
- Green Beans, trimmed and halved
- Fresh Coriander to garnish
- Lime Juice to taste (1-2 tablespoons)
- Peanuts, diced
- Set up your slow cooker
- Remove any excess fat from the chicken thighs and dice into 2cm chunks
- Peel and finely dice the onion
- Add the chicken thighs and onion to the base of the slow cooker
- In a medium bowl add together the coconut milk, chicken stock, peanut butter, soy sauce, peanut oil, garlic, ginger, paprika, chilli, brown sugar and the salt and pepper
- Whisk together until well combined
- Pour this sauce over the chicken and onion and stir to combine
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 3 hours or LOW for 5-6 hours, until the chicken is cooked through and tender.
- One hour before cooking time is completed add the finely sliced red capsicum (and green beans if using) and continue to cook for a further hour.
- Once cooked, remove the lid and stir through a little chopped coriander leaves, and if you have some on hand add lime juice a little at a time to your taste.
- Serve over rice and if you like garnish with coriander and finely diced peanuts
I use a 6 Litre Slow Cooker
This will keep well until the next day, store in an airtight container in the refrigerator and heat well and stir before serving, or serve cold in wraps or rice paper rolls.
I cannot wait to hear what you think of this one.
Thank you so much for stopping by to check out my latest recipes on my blog. If you are not already, be sure to follow me Facebook or Instagram for more deliciousness, and you can register your email in the subscription box below to receive all my recipes as I publish them.