The smell of lovely fresh bread without any fuss – this Slow cooker Cheesy Savoury Loaf is a great recipe to have on hand. No yeast, no kneading.
This is such a simple and versatile recipe. I love trawling message boards for recipes that are tried and tested, family recipes that people are keen to share. This is one such recipe!
If you have a much loved Slow Cooker recipe, be sure to share it with me! Reach out via my Contact form or leave a comment below.
There are so many Slow Cooker message boards available on sites such as Facebook, it is so lovely to see people sharing recipes with others to make our lives a little easier and also of course what not to do! I came across this recipe the other day by Scherrie and just had to give it a go, and I am so pleased I did
This is a lovely soft dense loaf, somewhere between bread and a flat bread, the method is incredibly simple. Also versatile! I didn’t have all the ingredients on hand from Scherries original recipe so I made do with what we have in the fridge and pantry and since my husband ate it all I can only assume it worked well!
The original recipe calls for spring onions, parmesan and bacon, I did not have those so I substituted a little more herbs, regular cheese and ham, and it worked perfectly. So really you can play around with the ingredients for this one and I am sure will have success. Have you cooked bread in the slow cooker before? This is all new to me but such a lovely outcome.
In this recipe I introduce the Tea Towel Trick. This is something that home cooks have discovered is useful in baking cakes, breads and desserts. This ensures that the condensation does not make the baking product soggy. Therefore it is not recommended that you leave the house while this one cooks, while households all over the world do use this method, it is best to be near. I have given some tips for this method here, read up before proceeding with the recipe.
To begin the recipe we are going to create a homemade buttermilk, this recipe contains no yeast. Buttermilk brings a tangy taste to baking like breads and cakes but also it is acidic so helps tenderise the gluten in things like this bread. It is very easy to make with milk and either white vinegar and lemon.
All slow cookers are so different, different in size, capacity and heating times. The original recipe calls for 2 1/2 hours baking time on HIGH, you can check at this point, either leave in for longer, or place in a medium high oven for 10 minuites to brown. This is such a lovely bread to serve with soups, stews or just lashings of butter.
The larger your slow cooker the flatter the loaf will be and that is ok! If you have a very large slow cooker why not double the recipe or make it 1.5 times bigger!
It would go perfectly with these Slow Cooker recipes too!
Onto the recipe, I hope you enjoy this one, it is lovely and simple and oh so tasty! Scherrie’s recipe for Slow Cooker Cheesy Savoury Loaf
- 1 Cup Milk, 250mls
- 1 Tablespoon White Vinegar or Lemon Juice
- 2 1/2 Cups Self Raising Flour, 325 grams
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 2 Cups Cheese, 200 grams (1/2 Cup Parmesan, 1 1/2 Cups Hard Cheese) grated
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon each of Herbs such as, Italian, Oregano, Onion Flakes, Mixed Herbs
- Pinch of Salt and Pepper
- 3 teaspoons Garlic, minced
- 1 Cup of Cooked Bacon or Ham, 200 grams
- 2 Spring Onions, finely chopped, light and green part only
- Egg or Milk for an Egg Wash
- Sprinkle of Cheese & Mixed Herbs or chives to finish
- Preheat the Slow Cooker for 20 minutes on high while you prepare the dough as per manufacturers instructions
- Grease and line the slow cooker with baking paper
- In a small bowl add the milk and white vinegar (or lemon juice if using) and set aside for 5-10 minutes.
- In a large bowl add the self raising flour, baking powder, herbs, salt & pepper, garlic, cheese, bacon (or ham if using) and spring onions
- Combine well
- Pour over this the prepared milk and using a large wooden spoon combine well until it forms a dough. If it is a little sticky add a little more self raising flour until not as tacky
- Mould into an oval shape and carefully place in your slow cooker
- Score the top of the loaf twice
- Brush with an egg or milk wash
- Sprinkle over a small amount of cheese and either mixed herbs or chives
- Cover the slow cooker with a cotton tea towel, place lid over slow cooker and fold the tea towel back over the lid
- Leave to cook on HIGH for 2 1/2 hours
- Check to see if loaf cooked by tapping it, you can cook for a further 20 minute if needed, or place in a 200C (Bake) oven and cook for 10 minutes until golden brown and crusty
- Remove and allow to cool slightly before slicing with a large sharp bread knife and serve warm with butter
- Can be frozen if needed
- Store and an airtight container
Tea Towel Method
Do not leave the slow cooker unattended. This method has been tried and tested in households around the world however it is best to be safe than sorry! Be sure to fold the tea towel back over the lid after placing it on the slow cooker.
Thank you so much for stopping by to check out my latest recipe and others on my blog. If you are not already be sure to follow me on Facebook or Instagram for more Slow Cooker deliciousness, and you can register your email in the subscription box below to receive all my recipes as I publish them.